Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Whoa......Impact 1/11/15

This week has been ups and downs, and downs, and downs, and a little up.  I'll tell you the beans

Well, monday was our last FHE with the 태백 branch and we had an awesome time playing 윶노리 with them ( a traditional Korean game called Yooht No Ri).  Generally the game is accompanied by yelling screaming and chanting and special rituals for getting the right "roll" on your sticks.  This was nos exception.  Our team won 2/3 and was killing it.  Then unfortunately it was time to say goodbye to everyone.  Sooooo sad!!  

On Tuesday, we packed and got ready to go, took the train into Seoul, Sister Holmes who was also transferring couldn't stop crying for a while. It was quite sad.

Wednesday!  What I thought was going to be a great day quickly turned into a struggle.  Left my buddy Elder Garff and got with my new companion Elder Manwaring at transfers and quickly bounced out.  I could notice some initial uneasiness but figured it was just some nervousness on his part.  I'm his first new companion after his trainer or otherwise known as the GREENIEBREAKER!!! Which isn't bad, just different.  Really different.  So we went along with our day and planned some good stuff and I learned the area.  Dongdaemun is great, one of the oldest areas in the mission.  President actually served and lived in the same house 40 years ago on his mission!  

Thursday  was a great day until the night time.  We had done some exploration finding to get me better acquainted with the area.  Then at night as we were going to do something in the church, I was in the bishop's office and could feel that entire day that something wasn't right with my companion even though he said he was fine and that the Spirit was a little off.  Something was weighing weird on me and I was just trying to shake it off thinking I was just paranoid or something.  Finally, I was getting frustrated with the feeling and decided to act on it by probing my companion until he finally let it spill.  All the beans came out of the can and we sat down for a couple of hours and had a nice long discussion trying to resolve all the different concerns.  I was proud of him for being able to say all the things that he did and not be scared that it would cause an argument or anything.  And surprisingly didn't but the Spirit told me that it was meant to be said and heard.  We came out feeling a little better but definitely rocky.  

Friday.  Weekly planning took quite a bit of time.  

Saturday.  A wonderful morning but right before English class I could again tell something was wrong and something needed to be talked about.  I asked him again and finally he let loose again and let even more out this time.  I again tried to be patient with him and let him know that I wasn't mad and that I just wanted to fix his concerns, but that it wasn't going to be the same anymore.  

Sunday.  Great first day with the ward and had an awesome intro to our ward.  The members loved me and that I was so upbeat and willing to help.  President Even came to our ward because we had a baptism scheduled.  Awesome!  Had a great time until priesthood when they came and pulled out the missionaries because there was no hot water for the baptism and we needed to get some from our house and start filling the font for the baptism.  So we shuttled water back and forth for 1 1/2 hours!  Finally, the baptism came and we sang I am a child of God in Mongol!  Then when the actual baptism happened it took four times with the 4th time I had to get in with my companion and push her clothing down too to make it happen!  Wow!!!  After church I talked to President about the situation and he gave me Elder Manwaring's perspective on it just from how the area has been and his previous companion and it really gave me perspective on how I need to handle the situation.  I had been praying for help and love and patience and this was the answer to one of my prayers.  So I am excited to be doing this for the next couple of days and really trying to help my new companion phase into other parts of missionary work.  I really hope that we can turn this around and basically start fresh.  

So it's been a pretty crazy week but I know that the Lord doesn't give us anything that we can't handle and that isn't for our good.  So I'm excited to tackle this head on and give it everything I have so that I can grow and be the best missionary I can be! I love it here though and I know the work is true!  I love you all!

Also, this morning as I was reading for personal study I came across some interesting things in Preach My Gospel about the Book of Mormon.  It was in Chapter 5, Book of Mormon, under the section The Book of Mormon and Bible support each other.  As I was reading this I was drawn to thoughts about all the people on the street and in the World that think that we don't believe in the bible or something along those lines.  I asked myself the questions "If God loved us, with a perfect love, then why wouldn't he want to talk to us.  Why would he close the heavens and leave us to fend for ourselves with imperfect books and man's interpretation?  Why is it bad that God has spoken to us through a prophet again?  Doesn't it follow that he would call another prophet?  Isn't it great that he loves us enough to speak to us in our prayers and through a prophet?  As I thought about this I was eternally grateful for the love of a Heavenly Father who HAS spoken to us through a prophet again and continues to do so today.  I am grateful that he has given us both the Bible and Book of Mormon to testify of his son Jesus Christ and the divinity of his role as Savior and Redeemer of the World.  I don't know why anyone in their right mind would want to close the Heavens and limit the Creator of the Heavens!  I know he speaks to us and loves us.  I know that Thomas S. Monson is the prophet on the earth today and that he speaks in the name of the Lord as prophets of the past have done and guides us back to our Heavenly Father.  You don't believe me, put it to the test!  Then He will tell you!



Elder Yamagata

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/117955201172198470717/albums/6103278569514696577

No comments:

Post a Comment