Tuesday, May 5, 2015

2 Once in a lifetimes! - April 19, 2015

Wow... this week, when it started, was going to be good, but I didn't know how good...

Started with a decent pday buying shirts and ties.. nothing special.

I got to go on exchanges this week with my zone leader elder Miller, he's actually younger than me and it's a little weird, but I actually enjoyed it, we pushed each other in our component parts of missionary work. He made me talk to more people, and I helped him figure out more how to do less active work.  WE also found a 4 1/2 foot tall doll that I have been wanting since I got to Korea!  It was all dirty so we washed it up and got it looking really good!  

Then the fun started.  

Wednesday we got up at 4:30 a.m.... had to get ready to go to one of the craziest places on earth, the Demilitarized zone between north and south Korea!~~  After a lot of travel and singing laughing and bad jokes, we finally ended up at Camp Bonifas, the last American army base between north and south Korea.  Wow, what a crazy experience, ushered around by American soldiers to different parts of the base to sign different waivers saying if war broke out they weren't responsible.... etc.  No big deal.  Then it really got fun.  They drove us just a little further and we got to the JSA where north Korea technically starts... wow!! Gotta see a north Korean guard and go into the building that was used to sign the armistice between north and south Korea!  What a great sight!  Also got to go to a place called Checkpoint 3 and 4, one is surrounded by north Korea on 3 sides, and the other is the place of a horrible ax murder that happened here in Korea about 40-50 years ago!  It was crazy!!!  Learned a lot about north Korea and south, and got to see some really cool sights.  All of us really liked it and we had a blast!

The other once in a lifetime that happened this week!  On Friday we all got a text from the office that said that we couldn't go to a church sponsored concert in the south mission... but that instead the PIANO GUYS were coming to our mission to perform for us!  So it was awesome!!!! We went and they all came and talked to us and bore their testimonies and such!  Then played some great music!  Definitely felt the spirit there!  

Well, Anyways the only better that happened this week was my study on fasting this week.  We as a zone decided to fast for the less active members in our wards this week. Unfortunately, I have had a problem with fasting since joining the church.  I don't think it's not a commandment, it's just hard to do.  I have had an especially hard time on my mission fasting because we have to go out and work.  So I studied it and really started feeling the Spirit.  Something that I noticed, was from the title of Elder Eyring's talk in conference, "Is this not the  fast that I have chosen?"  I read the scripture in Isaiah that he quoted and Isaiah talks about how the people then used to fast in sadness, and anger, wanting to smite people and that it would afflict their soul.  He goes on to say that that is not that fast he has chosen.  Instead, he notes that we are supposed to be cheerful, joyful, and doing service for one another.  Trying to help the poor.  So as we fasted, I forced myself to be happy, to work harder, to push more, and it happened.  It wasn't great, in fact, it was still hard.  But by pushing myself, I forgot about my fast more, I was able to work harder, etc.  I still have a long way to go.  But I know that God will help us when we have these problems.  President Christensen has a funny little quote, "We are closest to God when we have problems.  We pray more and rely more on Him, and in turn he blesses us."  Funny how that works.  I have more fears, more worries, more doubts.  I am troubled every day, sometimes wondering if I have made the right choices in my life.  But I know that God is with me.  I still remember that night in my room as I knelt to pray for the first time sincerely wondering if he was there.  I know the times that he has spoken to me.  I never worry about that.  And because of that, I know that everything will work out for the better in the end.  

Doubt our doubts before we doubt our faith.  

Love all of you, keep on keeping on.  

Elder Seon

No comments:

Post a Comment