Monday, September 21, 2015

English only? Somewhat?

Howsit Yolobuns???? Sorry, that Konglish and it looks like YOLO which is kind of part of the fun but not what I am saying.  Don't worry, I didn't lose my sanity on my mission!

Well, this week was full of ups and downs like always. Monday and Tuesday were bittersweet, having to pack and get ready to leave an area that I just barely got to.  Going to my 6th area.  Oh man.  It was a rough bit on me.  Me and Elder Megargel had a lunch with our ward mission leader/1st counselor in bishopric and he (the ward mission leader) almost cried when we left.  It was really sad

But on Thursday it got even more fun.  I found out right before our transfer meeting ( a new meeting started by the president where we all meet and find out about transfers during a meeting instead of just going to the meeting place grabbing them and leaving) that I was going to have the pleasure of serving with what our president called "The hardest companion in the mission." Our AP told me right before the meeting so that I wouldn't be mad or upset, and so that when I was supposed to go up and receive him that if he didn't get up not to be surprised (he doesn't like showing off or anything like that).  So it was definitely a test of my faith.  I felt like I was being punished for something  that I had done and prayed in my heart for something to change.  As my name was called I walked to the front to wait for the name of my companion to be called, usually a surprise but to me it was no surprise.  His name was called -"Osborne" and my heart sank.  But immediately I was proven wrong.  He got up in the very back seat and yelled out "Come here and get your hug!  This is going to be great!"  I was proven wrong yet again on probably one of the biggest problems not only in my life but almost everywhere.  Judging people before we meet them.  Even if you just talked to someone, the information that you would give someone else on them is already outdated.  It doesn't matter what people say, we can't judge them till we meet them or have a correct understanding of them.  And so far it has been great.  He is definitely...Different.  But it has been great.  He is a wiz on church history and the scriptures.  He has read at least 40 different church history books while out here, as well as about 10 different Korean history books.  Written 3 or 4 essays and such.  It is pretty amazing!

He's been pretty good, and I love working up here on a military base.  It is definitely different, all English, talking to Americans.  We can't break social custom like we can with Koreans.  Etc.  It's pretty hard and I am trying my hardest, luckily the branch loves me!  It is awesome!  We have people from all walks of life and it is truly great to see our servicemen coming out and wanting to find more peace in their lives and in the lives of their family. It really makes me super happy to see them coming  out here to the church!

Well, I hope everyone has a great week, keep on praying, reading the scriptures, going to church, temple, etc.  Someone in a talk yesterday said, "The best answers are the primary ones because they are the foundation of our beliefs, and how we learn."  So stick to it!  

I love all of you!


선형수 장로
Elder Yamagata

No comments:

Post a Comment