Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 9, 2014

January 9, 2014


     This week has not been the most eventful.  Mostly just going to class and learning new stuff in Korean.  We had the presiding Bishop speak to us on tuesday for devotional.  He had an ok talk about having a vision of the future.  At one point he brought a sword out and it freaked out most of the people in the audience (which I thought was pretty cool).  What really inspired me from the talk was when he had the senior missionaries stand.  When I saw how many there was in the gym, it surprised me that so many senior couples would want to come out and serve the Lord again.  It's hard for most of us as it is, getting up early, studying all day, teaching in other languages, and most of the seniors have already done it once.  But to come back and do it again as a senior is a little more difficult as you balance both your home life and serving the Lord.  It made me realize how I shouldn't complain.  Most of these people already have children and grand children and are still out here working the same hours as me.  They may not be learning a second language, or having to go out proselyting all day, but they will have their challenges that are going to be just as difficult for them as it is for me to see an investigator lose interest in the gospel, or a new convert slowly start to slip away from the church.  It really opened my eyes to my situation.

     Today I was able to go to the temple for the first time in about 5 weeks.  It opened monday and all of us in the Branch were super excited to be able to go for the first time in weeks.  For some, it was only there second time.  But there are a few others who have gone a lot like I have before they came out.  It was really interesting to go through as a Missionary.  I had a swelling of the spirit after wards and I felt like Enos in the Book of Mormon, and I wanted to pray to him all the day long.  I said about 6 prayers before I had left the temple, just thanking him for everything that he gives us and helps us with.  I know as missionary, that he protects us more than ever because on the other side is the Adversary trying to stop us from doing the Lord's Work.  

          This week we received a new investigator. It is a sister for once and she was interested in the Gospel so she flagged down the missionaries and decided to have them come over.  Me and elder Jarrett taught her yesterday and it was hard.  She speaks a lot faster than our other two investigators and is a little harder to understand.  But she already accepted the baptismal invitation and so Elder Jarrett and I are really excited to be able to teach her the gospel.  Hopefully we can get through all the lessons in a good amount of time, we only have a week!

     I'll try to somehow send a video or recording of me speaking Korean, otherwise you wont be able to hear me or see me until Mothers day!  Hahaha and I know your curious to hear some Korean!  Im not the best but I can try hard.  

This email will be really short, nothing really has happened at all this week.  But I want to remind you that "And behold, I tell you these things that ye may learn wisdom; that ye may learn that when ye are in the service of your fellow beings ye are only in the service of your God."  Mosiah 2:17

 

I hope you have a wonderful week and be safe.  I pray everyday for you both morning and night that you will see the influence of our heavenly father in your lives everyday and that you will be able to thank him for that.  

 

Love you so much!

 

Elder Yamagata

No comments:

Post a Comment